[Orca-dev] Orca fixes

Dmitry Berezin dberezin at surfside.rutgers.edu
Tue Jun 1 09:21:06 PDT 2004

> I'm going to be working on orca.pl itself

Blair,

Since you are going to work on orca itself, here are a few things that I
have recently noticed -

1. When orca is run with -v flag, after reading some data from the data
files, it displays this message:
Flushing new data and updating PNGs from <hostname>
Should it say "updating RRDs"?

2. Sorting of header information: I've already posted this here -
http://www.orcaware.com/pipermail/orca-dev/2004-May/000480.html

There are a few plot configuration "issues" that I've ran into. This might
be the intended behavior though, but I'll still mention them.

3. Having a separate plot for each matched data header name, while using RE.
Example:
To have one plot per network interface showing "packets in" and "packets
out", the config file would contain

plot {
title                   %g Interface Packets Per Second: $1
source                  orcallator
data                    (.*\d+)Ipkt/s
data                    $1Opkt/s
line_type               area
line_type               line1
}

For the same scenario, but for "packets in" only the config file could
contain something like

plot {
title                   %g Interface Packets Per Second: $1
source                  orcallator
data                    (.*\d+)Ipkt/s
line_type               area
}

Unfortunately, this will not work. Orca well generate one plot with the
"...Seconds: $1" line in its name (no $1 substitution), and will put all
matched data in that plot.
It appears that Orca needs at least one more "data" directive (that will
actually match) in the plot definition for this to work.

4. Stack data with ONE RE.
This is not an option in Orca right now (I believe), but it would be nice to
be able to create a stacked plot of arbitrary number of data values that
match a single RE. For example, create a stacked plot of transferred bytes
for all disks.

  Thank you,

  -Dmitry.