[Orca-dev] Patch to fix volatile disk/filesystem plot problem

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Mon Jun 14 22:10:01 PDT 2004

John Garner wrote:

> NOTE: I originally sent this at the end of april but got no response, so
> I'm kicking it out again... Diffs were against the 220 rev, hopefully
> they are still valid --jg
>
> All,
>
> I've seen some discussions regarding multiple filesystem and disk plots
> from orcallator whenever new disks or filesystems are added or removed.
> Due to the way that orca keeps track of things (with the data source
> field name used directly in the resulting file), it appeared to be a
> problem that was still persistent. (I still had the problem with version
> 220 out of the svn repository, and thanks to our the nightly vxfs
> snapshots, it got really ugly for me)
>
> After lots of traces and work to try and understand what i was getting
> myself into, I made a few mods to lib/Orca/Config.pm,
> lib/Orca/ImageFile.pm and lib/Orca/SourceFile.pm in an attempt to fix
> the problem.
>
> In the end, what i did was add a new param to a plot, volatile, that
> tells orca that this particular plot will have data sources come and go
> on a whim. Once orca sees this flag, it will treat that plot slightly
> differently in terms of how it looks up the plot and keeps track of what
> data is in the plot. It uses the value of the flag in place of the data
> source names for the purpose of file names. Thus, the disk_runp plot
> would look like this:

Hi John,

Thanks for the patch.  I put a modified version of it in the Orca's Subversion
tree so that the next version of Orca will have it.

The problem it turns out only occurs on plots with a single data line with a
regex match in it, so we don't need the volatile keyword.  Orca treats all these
plots this way so they all get fixed.  This is a nicer solution so that any
configuration files don't have to be modified.

You can download a current Orca snapshot at

http://www.orcaware.com/orca/pub/snapshots/

Thanks again for the work to track this down.

Plots of your system's performance - http://www.orcaware.com/orca/