[Orca-dev] Couple of minor updates - make sure I'm not smokin'something

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Sun May 2 13:16:45 PDT 2004

Sean O'Neill wrote:

> Curious if folks could qualify my assumptions for some modifications
> I've made to the orcallator.se script.
>
> TCP per Packet "Data" Size:
> http://www.seanoneill.info/orca/o_gauge_tcp_InDt_per_p,o_gauge_tcp_OutDt_per_p-hourly.html

Hi Sean,

This link is broken.  In fact, the entire site has broken links.
The home page has broken image links.

This looks like good stuff.

> This attempts to show how big the data payload is for each TCP packet
> both for incoming and outgoing.  This isn't computed with the time
> interval in mind.  This is purely taking the amount of data
> received/transmitted during the time interval and dividing that by
> number of packets received/transmitted.  This only shows data payload.
> It doesn't include the 40 bytes of IP and TCP header.
>
> With this in mind, it is very possible to see the TCP Bits/Sec graph
> showing 0 or very close to 0 bits/sec *but* this graph (and the graph
> below) showing data.
>
> This graph computes data as:
>
> TCP Incoming Data Payload size = tcp_InDataBytes / tcp_InDataSegs
> TCP Outgoing Data Payload size = tcp_OutDataBytes / tcp_OutDataSegs
>
> TCP per Packet Header Overhead (%):
> http://www.seanoneill.info/orca/o_gauge_tcp_InOvH_pct,o_gauge_tcp_OutOvH_pct-hourly.html
>
> This graph takes the payloads computed above and figures out how much of
> the packet was "overhead".  So:
>
> TCP In Overhead = 100 * 40 / ("TCP Incoming Data Payload size" + 40)
> TCP Out Overhead = 100 * 40 / ("TCP Outgoing Data Payload size" + 40)

I would probably calculate this using the original data instead of
the "> TCP Incoming Data Payload size" and it's a little clearer.

TCP In Overhead = 100 * (40*tcp_InDataSegs/(40*tcp_InDataSegs+tcp_InDataBytes))

> This may be useful for those cases where a server is servicing an
> application but you don't really know how but the data payload is and
> how much of those packets of overhead.  For instance, a chat service or
>   SSH service is generall going to have a small data payload with a lot
> of packet overhead.  An FTP service would generally be the opposite -
> max data payload and very small overhead.

Yes definitely.

What also would be interesting are these statistics on a per port
basis.  This would be harder data to gather, unless we could get
per port data from orcallator.se.

And also, of course, you could do this with UDP also.

Do you have the patches available for review?

Plots of your system's performance - http://www.orcaware.com/orca/