[Orca-dev] Orca Segmentation Fault - Possible Solution

Buhler Justin JPBuhler at athens2004.com
Wed May 19 23:47:13 PDT 2004

All,

I spent the last week with Adrian C looking at the segmentation fault , which seems to happen to some people using Fiber Channel disks (ssd), MPxIO, or Sun Cluster. We found that the problem was with the live_rules.se and diskinfo.se classes found in SEtoolkit versions < 3.3.1. Once we upgrade the Setoolkit to 3.3.1 the problem went aways. A good way to test is to run the following command.

se disks.se

The following is some output from a machine using 3.3 and not 3.3.1. You can see that the ssd drives are not being mapped correctly with device files in /dev/dsk

<<< VOLUME INFO >>>

kernel   -> path_to_inst -> /dev/dsk part_count [fstype mount]
ssd0     -> ssd0         -> ssd0         0
ssd0,a   -> ssd0,a       -> ssd0,a       0
ssd0,c   -> ssd0,c       -> ssd0,c       0
ssd0,h   -> ssd0,h       -> ssd0,h       0
ssd1     -> ssd1         -> ssd1         0
ssd1,c   -> ssd1,c       -> ssd1,c       0
ssd1,d   -> ssd1,d       -> ssd1,d       0
ssd1,e   -> ssd1,e       -> ssd1,e       0

The following is the same run with se 3.3.1 and is correctly mapped.

<<< VOLUME INFO >>>

kernel   -> path_to_inst -> /dev/dsk part_count [fstype mount]
ssd1     -> ssd1         -> c1t1d0       0
ssd1,a   -> ssd1,a       -> c1t1d0s0     0
ssd1,b   -> ssd1,b       -> c1t1d0s1     0
ssd1,c   -> ssd1,c       -> c1t1d0s2     0
ssd1,d   -> ssd1,d       -> c1t1d0s3     0
ssd1,e   -> ssd1,e       -> c1t1d0s4     0
ssd1,h   -> ssd1,h       -> c1t1d0s7     0

I just thought that I would post this since I have seen this problem posted several time.

Good Luck

Justin Buhler
Senior UNIX Administrator
Atos Origin - Athens 2004
Iolkou 8 & Filikis Eterias
142 34 Athens, Greece
' +30 210 3445 300
' +30 694 7700 461
7 +30 210 2004 849
* jpbuhler at athens2004.com
http://www.www.atosorigin.com/

This email is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Atos Origin. If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this email in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this email is strictly prohibited.