[Orca-dev] Orca on rails?

Ian Holsman lists at holsman.net
Tue May 9 16:05:01 PDT 2006

On 09/05/2006, at 4:07 PM, Cynthia Kiser wrote:

> Quoting Blair Zajac <blair at orcaware.com>:
>> Well, I must admit, I've been bitten by the Ruby on Rails bug
>> myself and
>> really don't have any desire to code any more with Perl.  Even I look
>> through Orca's source code and wonder what I wrote :)
>>
>> I could go into a long list of reasons why I like Ruby the
>> language and
>> Ruby on Rails, but I'll control myself :)
>
> So what do you think about storing the data in a database? There are a
> lot of nice aspects to Rails - but one of the major ones is easy
> interaction with a relational database. Does it make sense to rewrite
> the data aggregation and graphing to use something other than RRDTool?
> And would the data collectors remain as is? or be moved to Ruby too?

Hi Cynthia.
the problem with storing the data in a relational database is you
lose the auto-aggregation and fixed-size features
that rrdtool give you.

If you are interested in storing data inside of a database, you may
want to look at 'RTG' http://rtg.sourceforge.net/
which does something similar to what you are describing.

What I have done (for clients) is store the meta-data about what
procallator/orcallator is collecting, and how to describe it.
(kind of like cactus).
The only down side of not having the data in a 'database' is that RRD
doesn't allow replication/remote interface so it can put a bit of
load on a centralised machine. (RRD can be a bit of a I/O pig at times).

regards
Ian

> --
> Cynthia Kiser
> cnk at caltech.edu
> 626 395-5710 (work)
> 626 616-9426 (cell)

Ian Holsman  ++61-3-9877-0909
Good judgment comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgment.