[Orca-users] Orca'd todo list

Blair Zajac bzajac at geostaff.com
Thu Jul 29 12:00:14 PDT 1999

This is a pretty comprehensive to-do list for Orca and the related data
gathering tools.  Any comments and additions to this list are welcome.

To motivate the discussion of this to do list, let me give some background
on our setup.  GeoCities site has over 100 hosts.  I've been running
orcallator.se on some hosts since September 1998 that have stored over
300 source text files. Currently I have 34472 files using 7.3 gigabytes
of storage.  I have 9 different orcallator.cfg for different classes
of machines.

* Orca: Load arbitrarily formatted source text files.

        (If this is implemented, then the problems of source text files
        not containing fields that orcallator.cfg is looking for and
        Orca complaining will disappear).

        Orca can only handle source text files that have data from one
        source, such as a host, in a single file.  It cannot currently
        handle source data like this:

                # Web_server    time            hits/s  bytes/s
                www1            933189273       1304    10324
                www2            933189273       2545    40322

        I plan on having Orca allow something like this in the configuration
        file for each group.  To read the data above, something like this
        would be defined.  Here the ChangeSubGroup and StoreMeasurement
        would be macros or subroutines defined elsewhere for Orca users
        to use.

        group web_servers {
        upon_open
                # Do nothing special.

        upon_new_data
                while (<$fh>) {
                  next if /^#/;
                  my @line = split;
                  next unless (@line == 4);
                  my ($www, $time, $hits_s, $bytes_s) = @line;
                  ChangeSubGroup($www);
                  StoreMeasurement('Hits Per Second', $time, $hits_s);
                  StoreMeasurement('Bytes Per Second', $time, $bytes_s);
                }

        upon_close
                # Do nothing special.
        }

        For the standard orcallator.se output, something like this would
        be used:

        group orcallator {
        find_files /usr/local/var/orca/orcallator/(.*)/orcallator-\d+-\d+\d+

        upon_open
                # Look for the first # line describing the data.
                while (<$fh>)) {
                  last if /^#/;
                }
                @ColumnsNames = split;
                # Do some searching for the column with the Unix time in it.
                my $time_column = ....;
                splice(@ColumnNames, $time_column, 1);

        upon_new_data
                # Load the new data.
                while (my $line = <$fh>) {
                  my @line = split;
                  next unless @line == @ColumnNames + 1;
                  my ($time) = splice(@line, $time_column, 1);
                  #
                  StoreMeasurements($time, \@ColumnNames, \@line);
                }

        }

        The code for each upon_* would be Perl code designed explicitly
        for the type of source text.  This would allow the arbitrary
        reading of text files, leaving the specifics to the user of
        Orca.

        This work would also include caching away the type of measurements
        that each source data file provides.  Currently Orca reads the
        header of each source text file for the names of the columns.
        With the number of source text files I have, this takes a long
        time.

* OS independent data gathering tools:

        Many people have been asking for Orca for operating systems other
        than Solaris, since orcallator.se only runs on Solaris hosts.

        I've given this a little thought and one good solution to this is
        use other publically available tools that gather host information.
        The one that came to mind is top (ftp://ftp.groupsys.com/pub/top).
        Looking at the configure script for top, it runs on the following
        OSes:

            386bsd     For a 386BSD system
            aix32      POWER and POWER2 running AIX 3.2.5.0
            aix41      PowerPC running AIX 4.1.2.0
            aux3       a Mac running A/UX version 3.x
            bsd386     For a BSD/386 system
            bsd43      any generic 4.3BSD system
            bsd44      For a 4.4BSD system
            bsd44a     For a pre-release 4.4BSD system
            bsdos2     For a BSD/OS 2.X system (based on the 4.4BSD Lite system)
            convex     any C2XX running Convex OS 11.X.
            dcosx      For Pyramid DC/OSX
            decosf1    DEC Alpha AXP running OSF/1 or Digital Unix 4.0.
            dgux       for DG AViiON with DG/UX 5.4+
            dynix      any Sequent Running Dynix 3.0.x
            dynix32    any Sequent Running Dynix 3.2.x
            freebsd20  For a FreeBSD-2.0 (4.4BSD) system
            ftx        For FTX based System V Release 4
            hpux10     any hp9000 running hpux version 10.x
            hpux7      any hp9000 running hpux version 7 or earlier
            hpux8      any hp9000 running hpux version 8 (may work with 9)
            hpux9      any hp9000 running hpux version 9
            irix5      any uniprocessor, 32 bit SGI machine running IRIX 5.3
            irix62     any uniprocessor, SGI machine running IRIX 6.2
            linux      Linux 1.2.x, 1.3.x, using the /proc filesystem
            mtxinu     any VAX Running Mt. Xinu MORE/bsd
            ncr3000    For NCR 3000 series systems Release 2.00.02 and above -
            netbsd08   For a NetBSD system
            netbsd10   For a NetBSD-1.0 (4.4BSD) system
            netbsd132  For a NetBSD-1.3.2 (4.4BSD) system
            next32     any m68k or intel NEXTSTEP v3.x system
            next40     any hppa or sparc NEXTSTEP v3.3 system
            osmp41a    any Solbourne running OS/MP 4.1A
            sco        SCO UNIX
            sco5       SCO UNIX OpenServer5
            sunos4     any Sun running SunOS version 4.x
            sunos4mp   any multi-processor Sun running SunOS versions 4.1.2 or
later
            sunos5     Any Sun running SunOS 5.x (Solaris 2.x)
            svr4       Intel based System V Release 4
            svr42      For Intel based System V Release 4.2 (DESTINY)
            ultrix4    any DEC running ULTRIX V4.2 or later
            umax       Encore Multimax running any release of UMAX 4.3
            utek       Tektronix 43xx running UTek 4.1

        If somebody were to write a tie into top's source code that would
        generate output every X minutes to a text file or even RRD files,
        then Orca could put it together into a nice package.

        In line with this di
        (ftp://ftp.pz.pirmasens.de/pub/unix/utilities/), a freely
        available disk usage program that could be used to generate disk
        usage plots loaded by Orca.

* orcallator.se: Dump directly to RRD files.

        A separate RRD file would be created for each measurement.
        I do not want all the data stored in a single RRD, since people
        commonly add or remove hardware from the system, which will cause
        more or less data to be stored.  Also, this currently would not
        work with RRDtool, since you cannot dynamically add more RRAs
        to a RRD file.  Saving each measurement in a separate RRD file
        removes this issue.

        Pros:
                1) Disk space savings.  For an old host using over 70
                   megabytes of storage for text output, the RRD files
                   consume 3.5 megabytes of storage.
                2) Orca processing time.  Orca spends a large amount of
                   kernel and CPU time in finding files and getting
                   the column headers from these files.  By storing
                   the data in RRD files, this is no longer a problem.
                   Also, Orca itself would not need to move the data
                   from text to RRD form, speeding up the process of
                   generating the final plots.

        Cons:
                1) Potential slowdown in updating the data files.
                   It is easier to write a single text line using fprintf
                   than using rrd_update.  What is the impact on a single
                   orcallator.se process?
                2) RRDtool format changes and upgrading the data files.
                   Text files do not change, but if RRDtool does change,
                   then the data files will need to be upgraded somehow.
                3) Loss of data over time.  Due to the consolidation
                   function of RRD, older data will not be as precise
                   in case it needs to be examined.
                4) You cannot grep or simply parse the text files for
                   particular data for ad-hoc studies.
                5) The RRD creation parameters would be set by
                   orcallator.se and not by Orca, making modifications
                   harder.

        Question: Do the pros outweigh the cons?

        Work to do: Get RRDtool to build a librrd.so that orcallator.se
        would attach to.  The RRDs.so that gets built in the perl-shared
        directory has RRDs.o included in it with references to Perl
        variables, so this shared library cannot be loaded by anybody
        else.  Two things can be done.  One is to modify the perl-shared
        Makefile.PL to build a librrd.so without RRDs.so.  The other is
        to somehow make librrd.so with libtool.  Either libtool can be
        integrated into RRDtool as a whole, or probably simpler would
        be to add another directory to RRDtool and use libtool in there
        to make the shared library.  The first libtool solution would
        allow RRDtool to make shared libraries on almost any host without
        requiring that gcc be installed, since currently the Makefile's
        look for gcc to use the -fPIC flags.

* orcallator.se: Compress output text files.

        This is straightforward.  Have orcallator.se compress its files
        after it has closed them.  This would require some code added
        to Orca to read compressed text files.

* Orca: Potentially use Cricket's configuration ConfigTree Module.

        Given more complex Orca installations where many different Orca
        configuration files are used, maintaining them will start to be
        complicated.  For example, in Yahoo!/GeoCities I have 9 different
        configurations to split up the hosts for our site I found that
        for the number of hosts and the number of data files require this
        for reasonable generating of the resulting HTML and PNG files.

        It looks like using ConfigTree would allow Orca to use the same
        inheritance that Cricket uses.  I don't know enough about the
        Cricket config tree setup to know if it would work well with Orca.

        Work to do:  Review the ConfigTree code.

* Orca: Shorten created PNG and HTML file names.

        On hosts with many Ethernet ports, the maximum filename length
        is being exceeded.  Take the steps to shorten this.

* Orca: Lock files.

        To prevent multiple Orca running on the same configuration file,
        put in some form of locking scheme.

* Orca: Allow different group sources in the same plot.

        Currently Orca only allows data sources from one group.  Expand
        the code to list the group in each data line.  Initially, however
        only data from one group would be allowed in one data statement.

* Orca: Put the last update time for each host in an HTML file somewhere.

        This could be done simply up updating a file that gets included
        by the real HTML file.  This way the main HTML files do not
        have to get rewritten all the time.  On large installations,
        writing the HTML files is lengthy.

* Orca: Turn off HTML creation via command line option.

        Add a command line option to turn off HTML file creation.

* Orca: Update the HTML files is new data is found.

        Currently Orca will only update the HTML files if new source
        files are found, but not if new data in existing files is found.
        Change this.

* orcallator.se: Put HTTP proxy and caching statistics into orcallator.cfg.

        Since orcallator.se measures HTTP proxy and caching statistics,
        update orcallator.cfg.in to display these data sets.

* orcallator.se: Add documentation for each type of data measured.

        People have been asking for information on the different data
        that orcallator.se measures.

* Orca:

        Do what it takes to remove the same Ethernet port listings in
        orcallator.cfg.in.  They seem redundant.

* Orca:

        Add some error checking code for the maximum number of available
        colors so undefined errors do not arise.

* Other:
        Mention the AIX tool nmon.

Some notes from Paul Company <paul.company at plpt.com>:

I'd create one graph for each and autoscale.  That way you have system
processes, httpd processes and a combination.  All your bases are covered.

Presenting data in a useful, meaningful way is an artform & is very
difficult.  What makes it an artform is the definitions of useful and
meaningful are subjective.  General rules of thumb:
        + Know your audience.
        + Know what you're measuring and why (definitions/goals).
        + Know what the measurements mean.
          aka., know what is good/bad/acceptable (limits/thresholds).
        + Know how you're measuring.
          aka., how reliable is your measurement?

Graphs are just one way of presenting data.

I definitely don't claim to be an expert of any kind in this area,
but here are my preferences.

Most resources have a max and min limit (this defines your range).  I like
to see the max value at the top of the y-axis and the min at the bottom.

Most resources have a usage pattern (this defines your scale).  I like
to see autoscaling graphs which dynamically modify the top & bottom to
show the points of activity. This is useful when the range is huge and
the activity is localized to a small band within the huge range.

For example,

We have a Fractional T1 (384Kbps with 50% CIR) at my company and I use
mrtg to monitor it.  Because the range is small I use a fixed min & max,
and a fixed linear scale of 1.
        (1) x-axis is time
            y-axis is Kbps w/ min=0
                                    max=384kb
                                    scale=1Kbps (linear)

Assume a web site gets anywhere from 0 hits/second to 10Million hits
per second.  I would want multiple graphs depending on usage pattern:
        (1) x-axis is time
            y-axis is Kbps w/ min=0
                                    max=10Million
                                    scale=1Hit/s (linear)

        (2) x-axis is time
            y-axis is Kbps w/ min=0
                                    max=10Million
                                    scale=1-1000Hit/s (logarithmic)

        (3) x-axis is time
            y-axis is Kbps w/ min={min value of lowest usage, usually zero}
                                    max={max value of highest usage}
                                    scale=auto (multiple graphs with
                                    appropriate range/scale)

Bottom line is it would be nice if one could modify the various attributes
of the graphs (range, scale, labels, title, ...) interactively.  I realize
the orca graphs are generated fixed PNG files. Just dreaming.

Here are the things I'd like modified in orca, for my (audience)
specific use.
        + Definitions for all Data Sets which includes what is good and bad.
          For example, is a 15-20% collision rate bad?
          What is a Disk Busy Measure and is 95 a bad number?
          Also, suggestions for what to do if things are bad.
        + Finer resolution (more graphs) on each Data Set.
          For example, a graph for each disk, when you click on that graph
          you get a graph for each:
          Bytes read
          Bytes written
          KBytes read
          KBytes written
          Average # of transactions waiting
          Average # of transactions serviced
          Reads issued
          Writes issued
          Average service time (milliseconds)
          % of time spent waiting for service
          % of time spent busy
        + The ability to set thresholds (like virtual_adiran.se, zoom.se
          or pure_test.se) and have those thresholds graphed as color
          changes (red, amber, green etc.)
        + System & Httpd Processes
          Have 3 separate graphs as mentioned above.
        + CPU Usage
          Have multiprocessor support - separate graphs for each processor,
          in addition to the combined graph.
        + Packets Per Second
          I'd like to know the definition of packet and maybe the
          ave,min,max size.  And maybe the packet types (IP, TCP,
          UDP, ICMP).
        + Errors Per Second
          Possibly a graph per error type.
        + Nocanput Rate
          I'd like to know the definition of nocanput.
          What is the unit on the y-axis. What does 3m mean?
        + Collisions
          Deferred Packet Rate
          TCP Bits Per Second
          TCP Segments Per Second
          TCP Retransmission & Duplicate Received Percentage
          TCP New Connection Rate
          TCP Number Open Connections
          TCP Reset Rate
          TCP Attempt Fail Rate
          TCP Listen Drop Rate
          Should all be per interface AND cumulative.
        + Page Residence Time
          What's a good/bad/acceptable number?
          How do you read this graph and relate it to pageouts
          or swap thrashing.
          Maybe we should plot the sr field of vmstat. p.329
        + Page Usage
          Unless you know how memory subsystems work,
          this graph is hard to read. The only obvious
          thing this graph tells you is if the Free List
          is too small. The Free List can be fine, but you
          can still have performance problems!
          The Other & System Total labels are useless.
          Detecting a swap problem (thrashing) would be more useful!
        + Pages Locked & IO
          This maps directly to the kernel page usage above.
          It is redundant and therefore useless.
        + Bits Per Second: <interface>
          Doesn't work for all OS versions and/or NICs.
        + Web Server Hit Rate, Web Server File Size, Web Server Data
          Transfer Rate,
          Web Server HTTP Error Rate
          All don't seem to work!
          Probably my fault, I'll take a closer look.