[Orca-users] Re: multiple .cfg files / multiple orcas

Blair Zajac bzajac at geostaff.com
Thu Oct 14 16:42:37 PDT 1999

Hello Duncan,

Sorry for the late response.  I've been extremely busy moving from
LA to San Francisco.  I just put out a new version of Orca at
http://www.geocities.com/~bzking/

Duncan Lawie wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I reckon orca is pretty cool.  I'm even not bothered about the old
> whitespace thing, and I reckon I've got some dangerous ideas, but I'll
> try to keep (most of) them to myself for the moment.
>
> 1.  I am planning to collect stats on Oracle database performance as
> well as for Solaris hosts.  I have created a sample source file and a
> separate orcora.cfg and run orca with this file and it all works fine.
> As I see it, this is the only way to go i.e
>          new source file means new .cfg means extra orca running
>
> Is this correct?

Yes, each new data format probably needs a new configuration file.

> 2.  I am thinking about collecting extra stats per disk (as referred to
> in the Paul Company's TODO comments).  However, putting these stats into
> the main web page makes it half a mile long when you've got a couple of
> arrays.  I can collect all this extra data with some fairly minor
> orcallator configuration changes BUT
>         Is it sensible to run two orcas with different .cfg files
> looking at different columns of the same source file?
>         Alternatively, without messing dangerously with the internals of
> Orca, can I display the disk detail on a separate web page?

I believe the latest orca I just put out will plot this data for you and
it comes set up to do so.