[Orca-users] Re: multiple .cfg files / multiple orcas

D.C.Lawie duncanl at demon.net
Tue Oct 26 08:56:31 PDT 1999

Blair Zajac wrote:

> Hello Duncan,
>
> Sorry for the late response.  I've been extremely busy moving from
> LA to San Francisco.  I just put out a new version of Orca at
> http://www.geocities.com/~bzking/

Hope the new job/new city is suiting you.

> > 2.  I am thinking about collecting extra stats per disk (as referred to
> > in the Paul Company's TODO comments).  However, putting these stats into
> > the main web page makes it half a mile long when you've got a couple of
> > arrays.  I can collect all this extra data with some fairly minor
> > orcallator configuration changes BUT
> >         Is it sensible to run two orcas with different .cfg files
> > looking at different columns of the same source file?
> >         Alternatively, without messing dangerously with the internals of
> > Orca, can I display the disk detail on a separate web page?
>
> I believe the latest orca I just put out will plot this data for you and
> it comes set up to do so.

OK, the new orcallator.se / orca combination gives me a graph with all the
disks in it.  This becomes rather messy when you have 20+ disks on a machine.
In this case, I find it more useful to have one graph per machine.  Previously,
I had an explicit entry for each disk and, hoping perhaps to pervert the cause
of justice, I was hoping there was some way of using regular expressions to get
what I wanted.

This almost works:

---

plot {
title                   %g Disk Run Percent - $1
source                  orcallator
data                    disk_runp_(c\d+t\d+d\d+)
data                    disk_runp_(c\d+t\d+d\d+)
line_type               line2
line_type               line2
legend                  $1
legend                  $1
y_legend                Run Percent
data_min                0
data_max                100
plot_min                0
href
http://www.gps.caltech.edu/~blair/orca/docs/orcallator.html#disk_run_percent
}

plot {
title                   %g Disk Percent Usage - $1
source                  orcallator
data                    mntP_(.*)
data                    mntp_(.*)
line_type               line2
line_type               line2
legend                  Space Percent Used
legend                  Inode Percent Used
y_legend                Percent Used
data_min                0
data_max                100
plot_min                0
href
http://www.gps.caltech.edu/~blair/orca/docs/orcallator.html#disk_space_percent_usage

}

---
 It produces most of the HTML pages I want, but it seems to fall foul of
something when it is trying to create the html as I get loads of messages like
this:
---
/opt/orca/bin/orca: warning: cannot open
`/space/htdocs/disks/o_mntP_per_usr,o_mntp_per_usr-quarterly.html' for writing:
No such file or directory
/opt/orca/bin/orca: cannot open
`/space/htdocs/disks/o_mntP_per_usr,o_mntp_per_usr-yearly.html.htm' for
writing: No such file or directory
/opt/orca/bin/orca: warning: cannot open
`/space/htdocs/disks/o_mntP_per_usr,o_mntp_per_usr-yearly.html' for writing: No
such file or directory
/opt/orca/bin/orca: cannot open
`/space/htdocs/disks/o_mntP_per_usr,o_mntp_per_usr-all.html.htm' for writing:
No such file or directory
/opt/orca/bin/orca: warning: cannot open
`/space/htdocs/disks/o_mntP_per_usr,o_mntp_per_usr-all.html' for writing: No
such file or directory
---

If anyone has any answers, let me know.  Otherwise, I'll keep plugging away at
it.  If all else fails. I can go back to explicit plotting.

Cheers,
Duncan.
--
D.C. Lawie
duncanl at demon.net
MIS - Demon Internet

"The _bless_ operator simply uses the reference in order to find the thingy."
Programming Perl p292.