[Orca-users] RE: Digest Number 165

Johnson, Bruce bruce.johnson at picturevision.com
Thu Oct 5 12:29:35 PDT 2000

It sounds as though Orca 2.95.2 still doesn't run as a daemon.  I submitted
a patch something like six months ago which caused Orca to fork a child
process and run a daemon, but it apparently didn't make the cut because this
is a Unix thing and some benighted people prefer NT.

Try sticking an ampersand at the end of the command line in your startup
script and pipe stderr and stdout to a logfile.  (And set up a cron job to
cat /dev/null > said-logfile.)  Be advised that I think the process will
still go away when the user on the parent terminal logs off.  (I always have
to play with it to remember.)
--
Bruce A. Johnson		PictureVision, Inc.
Sr. Software Engineer	520 Herndon Pkwy.