[Orca-users] Re: Updating Orca graphs at longer intervals

pearcec at commnav.com pearcec at commnav.com
Tue Apr 3 11:53:12 PDT 2001

I am running into a similiar problem.  I have five machines I am
pushing orcallator date from.   I am running with the -o and -r
switch.  It is still taking

Current running time is 3:04 minutes.

real    3m4.583s
user    2m51.490s
sys     0m4.160s

between runs.  When I tell it to run the graphing and the html
generation (ie no -r), the impact is minimal.  It seems the data
gathering and rrd insertion is time consuming.  Is there a rookie
mistake I could be making.

As far as making graph generation more efficient, it doesn't look like
you orca makes use of the "lazy" switch that RRDtool provides.  I
haven't had a lot of time with the code but it might be easy to hack
it into Orca/ImageFile::_update_graph_options.

  if ($opt_use_lazy) {
    push(@options, '-z');
  }

Then add this to orca.
  elsif ($arg eq '-o') {
    $opt_use_lazy = 1;

the Orca/Constats.pm's file needs updating too.  If you guys think
this is a good idea, I could hack it together and generate some
patches.  I am more concerned with the inputing of data into RRD.  I
feel it isn't very fast.  Maybe I should move over to the developers
list.

The other options, though I am sure you guys don't want to do this, is
to write a CGI script that will generate the the graphs dynamically.
(IE only when needed) Then store it in a cache for later hits.  I
might be able to help with this, the company I work for may allow me
to build it and release it to orca, but it has to help use accomplish
what we are trying to do.  Right now I am convice the data updating is
the problem.

--
Christian Pearce
http://pearcec.fast.net/