[Orca-users] Re: Help with scaling ORCA

Blair Zajac blair at akamai.com
Sun Feb 18 20:52:09 PST 2001

Hi John,

Impressive setup :)

The method you suggested of splitting the hostnames up by first letter
is similar to the one that I used at GeoCities and it works pretty
well.

Do you have orcallator.se compress the output pecol files?

Orca and all of its input data files start to run into problems when
you get into this many hosts.  There are several solutions:

1) After the percol files get loaded, move them into another location
   so that Orca cannot find them.  This should speed Orca up if you
   run it with the -o command line option, but I don't know how much
   it will help if you keep Orca running continuously.  There may be
   a problem with this if you move the data files away that contain
   old columns of data that are not in the newer data files and this
   data may not be plotted at all.

2) Modify orcallator.se to dynamically load RRDs.so and instead of
   writing all of the data to a single text file, have orcallator.se
   write a single RRD file for each measurement.  Then have Orca
   use the RRD files to know what types of plots to create and
   as the source of the data.

   This would solve a large number of scalability problems and I'm
   looking for something to take this on.  If there's a volunteer,
   contact me directly to work with the latest Orca build.