[Orca-users] Re: Help with scaling ORCA

John Mastin john.mastin at bms.com
Tue Feb 20 13:13:13 PST 2001

> Impressive setup :)

Thanks.  ORCA is an impressive tool. :-)

> The method you suggested of splitting the hostnames up by first letter
> is similar to the one that I used at GeoCities and it works pretty
> well.
>
> Do you have orcallator.se compress the output pecol files?

Yes.  We are using bzip for compression.  That 3.5GB of data is
compressed data files.

> Orca and all of its input data files start to run into problems when
> you get into this many hosts.  There are several solutions:
>
> 1) After the percol files get loaded, move them into another location
>    so that Orca cannot find them.  This should speed Orca up if you
>    run it with the -o command line option, but I don't know how much
>    it will help if you keep Orca running continuously.  There may be
>    a problem with this if you move the data files away that contain
>    old columns of data that are not in the newer data files and this
>    data may not be plotted at all.

So it sounds like to me that if you run it with -o, you would reload the
databases from scratch at every invocation?

> 2) Modify orcallator.se to dynamically load RRDs.so and instead of
>    writing all of the data to a single text file, have orcallator.se
>    write a single RRD file for each measurement.  Then have Orca
>    use the RRD files to know what types of plots to create and
>    as the source of the data.

Huh?  I have to digest this one for a bit. :-)

Johnny
John Mastin, Jr.              email: john.mastin at bms.com
Bristol-Myers Squibb            phone: (609) 818-3788
PRI Infomatics              fax: (609) 818-7693
Princeton  NJ