[Orca-users] Re: Help with scaling ORCA

Blair Zajac blair at akamai.com
Thu Feb 22 21:48:14 PST 2001

John Mastin wrote:

> > Impressive setup :)
> >
> Thanks.  ORCA is an impressive tool. :-)
>
> > The method you suggested of splitting the hostnames up by first
> letter
> > is similar to the one that I used at GeoCities and it works pretty
> > well.
> >
> > Do you have orcallator.se compress the output pecol files?
> >
> Yes.  We are using bzip for compression.  That 3.5GB of data is
> compressed data files.
>
> > Orca and all of its input data files start to run into problems when
> > you get into this many hosts.  There are several solutions:
> >
> > 1) After the percol files get loaded, move them into another
> location
> >    so that Orca cannot find them.  This should speed Orca up if you
> >    run it with the -o command line option, but I don't know how much
> >    it will help if you keep Orca running continuously.  There may be
> >    a problem with this if you move the data files away that contain
> >    old columns of data that are not in the newer data files and this
> >    data may not be plotted at all.
> >
> So it sounds like to me that if you run it with -o, you would reload
> the
> databases from scratch at every invocation?

By databases do you mean the source input data files?  The source
input data files are not reread if you run Orca with -o unless the
last modified time Orca last stored in its state file for the
particular input data file is different than the current last modified
time.  Orca will also compare the file's inode to see if the file has
changed.

> > 2) Modify orcallator.se to dynamically load RRDs.so and instead of
> >    writing all of the data to a single text file, have orcallator.se
> >    write a single RRD file for each measurement.  Then have Orca
> >    use the RRD files to know what types of plots to create and
> >    as the source of the data.
> >
> Huh?  I have to digest this one for a bit. :-)

Sure.  But any help here would be great :)  The orcallator.se part
shouldn't be hard, but modifing Orca would be harder.