[Orca-users] Re: multiple hosts

Paul Haldane Paul.Haldane at newcastle.ac.uk
Wed Feb 21 09:11:53 PST 2001

On Wed, 21 Feb 2001 chantal.hunter at durhamc.on.ca wrote:

> I have ORCA currently running and collecting stats on one (central)
> host.  And I have SE3.1 installed and running orcallator.se on several
> other hosts.
> ps -ef | grep orcallator
> root  8310  8266  0 10:12:33 pts/7    0:01
> /opt/RICHPse/bin/se.sparcv9.5.7 /usr/local/lib/orcallator.se
>
> >From what I have read so far, I believe that this is the way it needs
> to be set up and then all I have to do is create a script to FTP the
> data files from the servers not running ORCA to the server running
> ORCA.

Yup - ftp, rcp, rsync - whatever you like, as long as the host running
orca gets access to the datafiles.

> What I don't know is what the data files are called (I think percol*)
> and where they are stored.  Also, where is the directory store defined
> (couldn't find it in orcallator.se)  I did see mention of them being
> stored in the --prefix dir specified with ORCA but how could that be
> on the remote systems that aren't running ORCA.

orca will look for them under the --prefix directory by default (see
the 'find_files' definitions in the orcallator.cfg file) but you need
to arrange for the data files to be copied there.

> se does not appear to be writing any data files with at all.

Have a look at the script that starts se at boot time
(/etc/init.d/percol)

Near the top you'll see a line of the form

OUTDIR=/var/adm/sa/perf; export OUTDIR

OUTDIR is the directory where the data files will appear (and from
which you should copy them to the appropriate directory on the host
running orca).

Paul
--
Paul Haldane