[Orca-users] Installation problems

Will bcitybears at aol.com
Wed Jan 17 09:59:39 PST 2001

Just to warn you all, I'm a hapless network engineer with some unix
experience... our sysadmin left and now they're trying to get ME to
do this project... basically find a utility that will take
measurements (like sar, netstat, etc.) and output them in a format
they can understand.  I figured I'd give Orca a try.

I can't seem to finish the installation:

Firstly, I'm just testing this on my Sun Netra running Solaris 8.
I've installed the SE Toolkit packages, and I am running Perl 5.005_03
I downloaded the rrdtool-1.0.28 from the link on the orca page.  when
trying to run "make" on this, I get these two lines at the end:

make: Fatal error: Command failed for target 'rrdtool.1'
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target 'all-recursive'

Now, I realize this isn't the case for this software, but as I'm
still not really a sysadmin, or really up to snuff with Solaris at
this point, can anyone give me the quick and dirty order of what to
install, where to put it, and how to get started?  I've tried reading
pages and pages of previous posts, but most everything seems to be
not related to my issue.

While I'm happy for any responses, anyone in Manhattan, NYC who wants
to help, I'd be happy to spring for a lunch or two to help me out...
I'm hoping to impress some people.

and you can say you worked on dilbert.com (those are the machines I'm
installing on if this works)

Thanks to anyone who'll listen.

Bill Willis
United Media, dilbert.com, snoopy.com