[Orca-users] Re: orcallator.se runs, but no output

Mark Langkau mark.langkau at pbmplus.com
Sun Jan 21 11:33:34 PST 2001

Hi Blair,

I'm using /usr/local/bin/start_orcallator. OUTDIR gets set to
"/usr/local/var/orca/orcallator/e5501" and the orcallator.pid file *does*
get written there. I explicitly changed OUTDIR to this path in the script,
but still no luck. Then I deleted the e5501 (hostname) dir to see if it got
created when start_orcallator ran. It did.

Script is running as root, and I have made that dir world writable (not a
good security thing, but I wanted to eliminate permissions as a cause for
no data files). After running "start_orcallator" I see the start up
messages, but nothing after that (no output to stdout).

I'm not trying to do anything fancy. Everything runs on one system - no nfs
mounts. Straight "out-of-the-box" install of SE and Orca. To configure Orca
I created a script with the config options, so I could later see how I ran
configure. Here is that script:
==================================
# more run-config.sh

#!/bin/sh

#Here is how we configured Orca:
PREFIX=/usr/local

./configure --prefix=$PREFIX \
            --bindir=$PREFIX/bin \
            --libdir=$PREFIX/lib \
            --mandir=$PREFIX/man \
            --with-rrd-dir=$PREFIX/var/orca/rrd \
            --with-orcallator-dir=$PREFIX/var/orca/orcallator \
            --with-html-dir=/usr/local/apache/htdocs/orca \
            --with-ncsa-log=/usr/local/apache/logs/access_log
#
=================================

Here's what I see:

# start_orcallator
Writing data into /usr/local/var/orca/orcallator/e5501/
Using www access log file /usr/local/apache/logs/access_log
Creating /usr/local/var/orca/orcallator/e5501/
Starting logging
#
#ps
   PID TTY      TIME CMD
 21795 pts/5    0:00 sh
 23736 pts/5    0:00 ps
 23694 pts/5    0:25 se.sparc
#
# orcallator_running
Now in /usr/local/var/orca/orcallator
/usr/local/bin/orcallator_running: e5501/percol-2001-01-21 does not exist.
#

Sorry to be such a pest, but I'm really stumped. Thanks a bunch for your
help!

Cheers,
Mark Langkau