[Orca-users] Re: orca questions

Adam Levin alevin at audible.com
Fri Apr 5 08:50:18 PST 2002

On Fri, 5 Apr 2002, mbanker1966 wrote:
> Orca rules!
> A few questions...
> 1) How about daily charts for a particular day, not just the last
> day?  Should be doable, right? The data is there, so I guess I would
> have to make some changes to orca itself to accomplish this.

We did this the quick and dirty way.  A cron job runs every night at
11:59pm (DOCROOT removed to protect, well, whatever):

#!/bin/ksh
DATE=`/usr/local/bin/date +%Y%m%d`
cd $DOCROOT/orca
if ! [ -e $DOCROOT/archive/$DATE ]
then
  mkdir $DOCROOT/archive/$DATE
fi
/usr/local/bin/tar cfl - . | (cd $DOCROOT/archive/$DATE;/usr/local/bin/tar xf -)
cd $DOCROOT/archive/$DATE
/usr/local/bin/find . -type f -name "*.meta" -exec rm {} \;

This simply takes a daily snapshot of all the graphs.  Naturally, you
don't have to keep the weekly, monthly, quarterly, and yearly (and hourly)
if you don't want to -- just clean those up afterwards, or only copy the
*daily* stuff.  We can go back and take a look at activity for any given
day.

> 2) Overlaying charts... say I wanted to see cpu utilization for 3
> different machines on the same chart?  I know it doesn't do this now,
> but just wanted your thoughts on it.

You can currently look at a particular graph for all machines in the
config file by scrolling down past the "Available Targets" groups to the
"Available Data Sets" groups.  However, if you want only certain machines,
or certain information, you'll have to build the HTML files yourself.
We've done this for a group of specific production level machines with
CPU, load avg, disk usage, TCP/IP info, and memory usage, skipping some of
the less important graphs (we kept network bytes/sec, removed packets/sec,
etc).

-Adam

Adam Levin, Senior Unix Systems Administrator | http://www.audible.com/
Audible, Inc.     How do you know it's not possible until you've tried?
Wayne, NJ, 07470    Indeed, many things are not impossible *until* they
973-837-2797                                           have been tried.