[Orca-users] Re: Limiting hosts drawn.

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Tue Apr 16 18:44:08 PDT 2002

Darren Dunham wrote:

> I'd like to set up a more limited view of a subset of hosts for a
> group to use.  I was presuming that I'd set up a new .cfg file and
> create new RRDs and HTML files.
>
> However, I don't really want to replicate the raw data files and that
> means I've got more hosts than I want to draw.  I guess I could modify
> the find_files config, but the only way I see to do that is to replace
> the (.*) with some hideous bit like
> (servera|serverb|serverd|stupidmachine|thishost|thistoo) except that I
> have more hosts than that...

That is currently the only way to do it.

At Yahoo!/GeoCities we had hosts with names like www123, mail345, so
this selection of groups was easy with something like

(www\d+)

If you don't have this naming scheme, it'll be harder.  You could still do

([0-9a-mA-M].*)

in one config file and

in another to subset them into half the alphabet.

> My preference would be to specify them in a cleaner manner. Either an
> "include" or "exclude" list of some sort.  If it's not otherwise
> possible, I'm willing to code it in some manner, but I'm not sure where
> best to start looking.

Right now there's no way to do this, unless you want to patch Orca to
handle this :)  I gladly accept patches.