[Orca-users] Re: Orcallator CPU Questions

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Fri Aug 16 17:27:26 PDT 2002

Adam Levin wrote:
> As for Orca, I believe what you see on the graphs is a five minute
> *average*.  It's also important to note that RRD is not able to show
> *every* data point, so some points are dropped.  The graphs represent
> average trends, not exact calculations.

Right.  It's a 5 minute average.  Orcallator.se also takes care to takes
its measurements on integer multiples of the 5 minutes from the epoch
(1970) to work well with RRD, which always samples to the integer
multiples of the interval.  RRD just drops old measurements, not new ones.

> The first thing you should do is look at the five minute numbers in the
> orca data files themselves.  They may show occasional peaks where the
> graphs don't, simply because of the way RRD handles the data.

This data should be consistent.  Have you seen differently?

> You may also want to lower your sampling to one minute intervals for a day
> and see what that shows you.  I think that RRD is still going to average
> out the data for the graphs, though.

He'll need to change the orcallator.cfg file `interval' parameter and
delete the RRD files and then he'll be fine.  Orca will regenerate new
RRD files with the new `interval' and data will not be ignored.