[Orca-users] Re: Orcallator CPU Questions

Adam Levin alevin at audible.com
Mon Aug 19 05:32:58 PDT 2002

On Fri, 16 Aug 2002, Blair Zajac wrote:
> Adam Levin wrote:
> > The first thing you should do is look at the five minute numbers in the
> > orca data files themselves.  They may show occasional peaks where the
> > graphs don't, simply because of the way RRD handles the data.
>
> This data should be consistent.  Have you seen differently?

I recall some fairly short-interval peak loads on my servers where the
numbers in the data file weren't completely represented by the graphs.  I
assumed this was because it's not possible to show every data point in the
space of the graphs.  It's especially noticable on the longer term graphs,
like the monthly graphs.  The summary numbers that accompany each graph
(min, max, average) are very useful in this regard -- they show the exact
number for the minimum and maximum measurement over the time period.  The
graphs are always very close to the data, so it's never caused a problem.

> He'll need to change the orcallator.cfg file `interval' parameter and
> delete the RRD files and then he'll be fine.  Orca will regenerate new
> RRD files with the new `interval' and data will not be ignored.

Good to know.  Thanks for the corrections, Blair.

-Adam

Adam Levin, Senior Unix Systems Administrator | http://www.audible.com/
Audible, Inc.
Wayne, NJ, 07470             Hi!  I'm the .signature virus!  Copy me to
973-837-2797                   your .signature file and help me spread!