[Orca-users] (no subject)

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Mon Dec 9 15:37:01 PST 2002

"isaac r." wrote:

> --- Blair Zajac <blair at orcaware.com> wrote:
>
> > > If I could use 'scp' could I add the code to the
> > orcallator.se file?
> >
> > Yes.  You could probably edit the start_orcallator
> > script to set the
> > COMPRESSOR environmental variable to point to a
> > shell script you write
> > that compresses the files and scp/rsync's the
> > compressed file to the
> > Orca server.
>
> Minor correction: you probably won't want to
> scp the compressed file to the orca server because
> then orca would have to uncompress it in order to read
> the datapoints and update pngs/html.

It just depends on what's more important, disk space or CPU usage.
I think most people compress them and have Orca uncompress them.

You could also run a 'find . -mtime +2 -name .....' to find any
uncompressed files older than 2 days after they are scp'd and
compress them after Orca is done with them.

Plots of your system's performance - http://www.orcaware.com/orca/