[Orca-users] Grouping Systems Together

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Wed Dec 18 14:35:02 PST 2002

Mark Goldenberg wrote:

> I have 30 systems that I'm monitoring with Orca; ranging form 2-SunFire
> 15000 with lots of disk down to Netra T1 105s.  These system are
> divided into 10 different application groups.  I would like to have the
> ability to look at only one group of systems at a time.  Can I use the
> "group" section of the orcallator.cfg file to create mutilpule groups?
> Is this supported?
>
> If so I'm assuming that each group would have to use a different
> directory to pull it's data from. Would that produce a different htdocs
> tree for each group?

Hi Mark,

The suggested way currently to do this is to have a different
orcallator.cfg file for each group, and have the only difference
between them be the line:

find_files  @VAR_DIR@/orcallator/(.*)/(?:(?:orcallator)|(?:percol))-
\d{4}-\d{2}-\d{2}(?:-\d{3,})?(?:\.(?:Z|gz|bz2))?

Change the first

/(.*)/

to match the hostnames for the systems in each group.

Unfortunately, there's no easier way to do this currently.

You may want to create a template orcallator.cfg file that has
a find_files like this:

find_files  @VAR_DIR@/orcallator/GROUP_MATCH/(?:(?:orcallator)|(?:percol))-

and use sed or perl to create an orcallator.cfg for each group and
replace GROUP_MATCH with the appropriate regex for that group.

This also means running separate instances of Orca for each
group.

Plots of your system's performance - http://www.orcaware.com/orca/