[Orca-users] network vs. process swap

Sean O'Neill sean at seanoneill.info
Thu Dec 19 10:22:01 PST 2002

At 10:41 AM 12/19/2002 -0700, Bruce Shaw wrote:

>On one of the boxes, Interface errors/secd varies between 2 and 14,
>averaging 2.7.  The network gods checked the switch statistics and found
>nothing exciting.

Sounds like bad hardware or a Sun/switch negotiation issue maybe.  You said
this machine is being forced to 100Mbit FD right ?  I've seen cases where
even with this forced setting the Sun and switch its attached to still have
negotiation problems relating to 100Mbit/10Mbit or FD/HD.  A machine
sitting right next to it of the same chassie with same config works just
fine.  Moving the machine to another switch could fix it.

Have you watched the status light for the switch port the Sun is plugged
into?  It should stay green (on a Cisco anyway) - with the usual blinks for
activity.  Do you see it change color?  On a Cisco, orange means the switch
and the machine are in a negotiation state (or something like that).

Try verifying that the data you are seeing in Orca is true - which is more
then likely is.  Try using netstat -i to figure out which interface is
giving you problems (assuming you have more then one).

Do you have more then one interface on the machine ?  Have you thought
about trying to move the interface settings for the current interface over
to the other one and disabling the current interface ?  If you do this, and
the problem goes away, then the current interface is more then likely bad.

Are your patches up to date ?

>It just seems really wierd that for both boxes that have this severity 8
>network, they also have high processes swapped.

The swap outs and the network issue are probably not related but then who
knows ...

>Any chance we're plotting the wrong thing?

Maybe but not likely.  Verify the Orca data as I mentioned above.

Sean

Sean O'Neill