[Orca-users] Orca and Large Systems

Mark Goldenberg mgoldenb at mailhost.goldenberg-consulting.com
Sun Dec 29 09:48:01 PST 2002

I just finished installing Orca into a new production environment.  The
environment is made up of 30+ systems range from Sun Fire 15000 to
Netra T1 105's.  I have an HDS 9960 attached to the Sun Fire 15000 and
Sun Fire 4800 with over 200+ LUNs.  I'm running Orca on a dual 750MHz
Sun Fire 280R.

The 280R is constantly running a 43% User CPU usage after installing
Orca.  I have the orcallator.se script set to collect data every
600secs on each system.  And I'm using an rsync script to move the
collected data to the 280R every 5mins.  Orca's HTML pages are running
between 10-12mins behind.

The heavy load appears to be Orca processing the disk information from
two SF15k domains and a SF4800.  When you have this many disk devices
I'm not sure how useful the graphs are.  Can I simply comment out the
disk sections of the orcallator.cfg file to shutdown this processing?
Or can I turn it off on a system by system basis by editing the
orcallator.se script?  Does anyone on this list have any suggestions?
I would like to keep Orca as real time as I possible.  I'm currently
trying to use the Orca output to assist with troubleshooting
performance problems with a new project.

Mark Goldenberg