[Orca-users] Orca and Large Systems

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Sun Dec 29 12:57:01 PST 2002

Mark Goldenberg wrote:

> I just finished installing Orca into a new production environment.  The
> environment is made up of 30+ systems range from Sun Fire 15000 to
> Netra T1 105's.  I have an HDS 9960 attached to the Sun Fire 15000 and
> Sun Fire 4800 with over 200+ LUNs.  I'm running Orca on a dual 750MHz
> Sun Fire 280R.
>
> The 280R is constantly running a 43% User CPU usage after installing
> Orca.  I have the orcallator.se script set to collect data every
> 600secs on each system.  And I'm using an rsync script to move the
> collected data to the 280R every 5mins.  Orca's HTML pages are running
> between 10-12mins behind.
>
> The heavy load appears to be Orca processing the disk information from
> two SF15k domains and a SF4800.  When you have this many disk devices
> I'm not sure how useful the graphs are.  Can I simply comment out the
> disk sections of the orcallator.cfg file to shutdown this processing?

Yes.

> Or can I turn it off on a system by system basis by editing the
> orcallator.se script?

You could do this also, but commenting out the disk sections in
orcallator.cfg would probably be more effective.

> Does anyone on this list have any suggestions?
> I would like to keep Orca as real time as I possible.  I'm currently
> trying to use the Orca output to assist with troubleshooting
> performance problems with a new project.

It would be great if I could get some profile data from Orca describing
where it is spending most of its time.  This would help in optimizing
Orca.

Let us know how these changes help.

Plots of your system's performance - http://www.orcaware.com/orca/