[Orca-users] Re: Running continuously and upgrading to 0.28

Adam Levin alevin at audible.com
Thu Feb 14 06:40:58 PST 2002

On Thu, 14 Feb 2002, bias16 wrote:
> I currently run orca through cron with -o.  I am unclear how to run
> orca continuously.
> * Would it be something like:
> /bin/nohup /usr/local/orca/bin/orca /usr/local/orca/lib/orcallator.cfg
> &

My Sun startup file contains this:
  if [ -e /etc/local/orcallator.cfg.lock ]
  then
    /bin/rm -r /etc/local/orcallator.cfg.lock
  fi
  /usr/local/bin/perl -w /usr/local/orca/bin/orca -gifs -logfile \
    /usr/local/orca/var/orca/logs/orca.log -daemon \
    /etc/local/orcallator.cfg

> * What is the easiest way to upgrade a few hundred servers?

rsync.  :)

You don't have to distribute everything to the servers, just the .se file.

> * I'm assuming that server must run same version as client and all old
> data (created with orca 0.26) will need to be deleted.  right?

Nope.  Data's data.  You'll probably get funky errors in the orca logs if
you change the SE script, though, because there'll be slightly different
data.  However, the columns retain the same labels, so your old data will
still graph.

-Adam

Adam Levin, Senior Unix Systems Administrator | http://www.audible.com/
Audible, Inc.
Wayne, NJ, 07470                         What can the harvest hope for,
973-837-2797                     if not for the care of the Reaper Man?