[Orca-users] Re: orcallator.cfg.lock

Matthew Boeckman matthewb at saepio.com
Fri Feb 22 11:12:10 PST 2002

Blair Zajac wrote:

> Matthew Boeckman wrote:
>  > Hello list!
>  >
>  >      I've been running orca on a sol7 box for over a year now and I love
>  > it. Using the se toolkit of course. I run start_orcallator to bring it
>  > all up, then rsync the data to a central server that generates the
>  > graphs. I recently installed all of AC's stuff as well as orca on a new
>  > 7 box and am getting some weird results.
>
> What is the AC stuff?

As Mr. Levin correctly surmised, Adrian's stuff: RICHPse RICHPsex and
ANCRules

>  > The graphs from that server
>  > have an awful lot of flatlining in them. Admittedly it's only been
>  > running for a few days, but even the daily's will show hours of
>  > seemingly no usage then a little "regular" looking spike. The box is
>  > under pretty heavy load, so I'm sure this isn't entirely accurate. The
>  > only difference that I can see between the two boxes is that on the
>  > misbehaving machine, no orcallator.cfg.lock gets created in
>  > /usr/local/lib, as it does on the happy box.
>
> Orca creates the orcallator.cfg.lock, not orcallator.se.  Orca names the
> lock files on the name of the configuration file, which in this case is
> orcallator.cfg.

mea culpa, i see now that orcallator.cfg.lock on the 'happy' box is an
old one from a previously unclean run of orca... so that's a red herring...

>  > I don't know if this has
>  > anything to do with anything, but it's all I've got. Both boxes are
>  > running orcallator as root, and (obviously) have permissions to write to
>  > /usr/local/lib.
>
> Which SE and orcallator.se are you using?

se - Version 3.1 (pre-fcs) (10:39 AM 03/31/99) for sparcv9 SunOS 5.7

orcallator.se - Version 1.23: Feb 25, 2000 (same version on both machines)

> You can run orcallator.se by hand and see if the data makes any sense
> with other programs, such as top.

not sure I understand what you mean... i've run:
/opt/RICHPse/bin/se orcallator.se  on the command line, and (after
several minutes) get:
  timestamp locltime DNnsrkcmdit   uptime
1014404700 13:05:00 wwwwwwwwwww   258807
1014405000 13:10:00 wwwwwwwwwww   259107

I don't know how to bring that into top. I don't know if it helps but
you can see the graphs that are upsetting me at http://orca.saepio.com
(user auth temporarily disabled). Target Order is the good, and ultra is
the not-so-good.

<aside>Blair I've loved and relied on orca for over a year now and can't
thank you and the development folks enough. We're a small software
company, with no budget for "fancy" reporting things. Products like
yours, MRTG, webalizer &c make me twice the admin I really am, but don't
tell management:-)
</aside>