[Orca-users] Re: orcallator.cfg.lock

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Fri Feb 22 11:59:55 PST 2002

Matthew Boeckman wrote:

> Blair Zajac wrote:
> > Which SE and orcallator.se are you using?
>
> se - Version 3.1 (pre-fcs) (10:39 AM 03/31/99) for sparcv9 SunOS 5.7
>
> orcallator.se - Version 1.23: Feb 25, 2000 (same version on both machines)

I would upgrade to the latest SE and orcallator.se, as they both fix
some problems.

> > You can run orcallator.se by hand and see if the data makes any sense
> > with other programs, such as top.
>
> not sure I understand what you mean... i've run:
> /opt/RICHPse/bin/se orcallator.se  on the command line, and (after
> several minutes) get:
>   timestamp locltime DNnsrkcmdit   uptime
> 1014404700 13:05:00 wwwwwwwwwww   258807
> 1014405000 13:10:00 wwwwwwwwwww   259107
>
> I don't know how to bring that into top. I don't know if it helps but
> you can see the graphs that are upsetting me at http://orca.saepio.com
> (user auth temporarily disabled). Target Order is the good, and ultra is
> the not-so-good.

What I meant was to run top in one window and run orcallator.se on the
command line in another.  Also, you'll want to put one or more of the
following defines when you run orcallator.se:

// If WATCH_OS is defined, then measure every part of the operating
// system.
#ifdef WATCH_OS
#define WATCH_CPU               1
#define WATCH_MUTEX             1
#define WATCH_NET               1
#define WATCH_TCP               1
#define WATCH_NFS_CLIENT        1
#define WATCH_NFS_SERVER        1
#define WATCH_MOUNTS            1
#define WATCH_DISK              1
#define WATCH_DNLC              1
#define WATCH_INODE             1
#define WATCH_RAM               1
#define WATCH_PAGES             1
#endif

Like this

    se -DWATCH_CPU orcallator.se 10

The 10 tells orcallator.se to output every 10 seconds instead of waiting
for 5 minutes.

I don't see any Orca plots at this URL, just netsaint and it requires a
username and password.

> <aside>Blair I've loved and relied on orca for over a year now and can't
> thank you and the development folks enough. We're a small software
> company, with no budget for "fancy" reporting things. Products like
> yours, MRTG, webalizer &c make me twice the admin I really am, but don't
> tell management:-)
> </aside>

Thanks, you're very welcome!