[Orca-users] Re: too many targets!

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Fri Jul 19 11:57:42 PDT 2002

jannev66 wrote:

> I was wondering if someone could possibly point me in the right
> direction here...
>
> My list of targets has become quite large, so I want to segregate the
> list into some meaningful groups.  I have a mechanism to do this...
> basically I run a script that pulls a host classification from a
> database, but I'm not sure how to approach making these changes to
> orca.
>
> Basically, I would like a main index page to list all the groups, and
> clicking on one of them would bring you to a list of available
> targets for that group only.
>
> So, I would need a seperate index page for each group.  What would be
> the best way to approach this?  I'm no perl guru, but I can hack my
> way through... but I'm not sure what the most efficient approach
> would be.
>
> Right now, all the performance data lives under /orca/data/$hostname
> on the orca server.  Would it be easier to change the orca code to
> deal with this, or to change the directory structure so that it looks
> like /orca/data/groupname/hostname?

I think the second solution would be much easier.  The top level
index.html page would just be pretty static then and you could easily
share the orcallator.cfg file between groups, with the only modification
between groups being the groupname in the find_files parameter.

The first solution would require that the orcallator.cfg match on
specific hosts to do the grouping, which would be harder and make
the find_files regexp much, much longer.

> By the way, everyone here is really impressed with orca... it leaves
> the other products we've seen in the dust.  One of my coworkers has
> produced an aix version... it's actually based on the procallator
> linux script, but it works.  So we have support for Solaris, Linux,
> and AIX.  If anyone is interested I'll upload it here.

That would be great!