[Orca-users] Re: Ultra III systems and orcallator/SE

norman macaraeg macarnor at lsil.com
Mon Jun 24 14:10:33 PDT 2002

>Is anyone else running orcallator on Ultra III systems such
>as the Sun Fire 6800?
>
>Here is what we have:
>
>Sun Fire 6800
>Solaris 8
>16 CPUs and 64 GB memory
>latest Recommended Patch Cluster
>SE Toolkit 3.2.1
>orcallator.se 1.32
>
>...I installed orcallator on these things about a month ago, and
>ever since then they have been crashing with some regularity.  We
>are getting AFSR errors and other memory-related panics.  The memory
>has been replaced, and Sun service seems to be stumped.  The only
>thing that we have changed on the boxes is the orcallator installation,
>so now my cronies are looking at me with raised eyebrows.  I know as
>soon as I mention this to Sun service, they will blame it all on us
>using open source software.  Personally, I don't see how on earth
>anything with orcallator or SE could be causing this, but thought it
>would be prudent to ask here if anyone else has seen problems on this
>platform.  Thanks.

We have one SunFire 3800 running orca since Nov. 2001.  It hasn't had
any problems whatsoever.  If SUN or your colleagues look at orca, they're
looking in the wrong place.  SUN needs to look more carefully at the
hardware (in my opinion) if you're getting AFSR errors.  We've had
instances on where it "looks" like memory but ended up being CPU issues
on older machines.

-Norm