[Orca-users] Re: Daily statistics

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Wed Jun 26 16:12:33 PDT 2002

dmitryb17 wrote:

> --- In orca-discuss at y..., Blair Zajac <blair at o...> wrote:
> > dmitryb17 wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have a couple of questions.
> > > First, how can I control for how long Orca would keep my data (I
> > > think I saw this being mentioned somewhere, but can't find it any
> > > longer)?
> >
> > The source data files or the data stored in the RRD files?
>
> Both.
> And for now, I am only getting data from orcallator.se.

To manage the source data files, delete the orcallator-200X* files
when you want.  However, see the FAQ question #3.16 in the FAQ

    http://www.orcaware.com/orca/docs/FAQ.html

The RRD files already trim the data after a certain period of time.
See lib/Orca/Constants.pm for the intervals defined by Orca for the
RRD files.

> > > Second, how are monthly and yearly averages being calculating? Are
> > > they constantly updated with new data?
> >
> > They use just a simple average of the measured data.
> >

> > > Third, (this is probably tricky), is there a way to have Orca
> create
> > > and keep daily graphs for many different days? I need to be able
> > > there a way to control how daily, monthly, etc. graphs are being
> > > generated.
> >
> > You can set up a cron job to copy the html directory every day at
> > midnight.  In contrib/rotate_orca_graphs/ is a script you can use
> > to help automate this process.
>
> Is there a good way to automate this: rename daily html pages and
> graphs to the daily{date} format and create links on the main page to
> those daily pages. I do understand that I could write a lot of
> different scripts to help me do that, I just don't want to reinvent
> the weel if this functionality already exist.

Most people just have a cron script that copies the main html
directory into a directory named something like orca-YYYY-MM-DD
so that they can see what it looked like then.

Doing anything more complicated than this in the main orca HTML
tree would require a bunch of work.