[Orca-users] Re: Customizing Orca Web Page

Liston Bias list2002 at bias.org
Wed Oct 9 12:18:41 PDT 2002

You could avoid putting orcallator data in separate dirs if your hosts
contains uniq string base on system type.  For example, app server is
atlapp00, dev servers is atldev00, oracle server is atlora00.  Then you
could have the find files search for (atldev.*) in one cfg, (atldev.*) in
another, etc.

If your servers aren't already named like this then you certainly don't
want to rename them.

By the same accord, they could share rrd directory if the state file were
a different name.

- Liston

On Wed, 9 Oct 2002, Mukarram Syed wrote:

> Thanks to all who responded.
>
> Liston, I like your solution.
> I will have to have 3 orcallator.cfg files, one for
> test, one for dev and one for prod with the correct
> find_files, html_dir and base_dir.  Mirgrate the
> appropriate files from find_files, html_dir and
> base_dir to the new directories.
> Also, I have to modify the orcallator.se file on the
> client and send my data to the correct location in the
> line:
> fprintf(stderr, " setenv OUTDIR
> /orca/orcallator/<new_directory> directory to write
> log files, output to stdout if not set\n");
>
> As you all said, managing become a chore when
> upgrading.  I agree!
>
> Greatly Appreciate the help.
>
> -Mukarram Syed.
>
> --- Liston Bias <list2002 at bias.org> wrote:
> > As Sean indicates, you could alter the config files
> > (orcallator.cfg) so
> > you have a separate one for each group of data.  As
> > indicated, you would
> > have to keep track of delts if you upgrade cfg.
> >
> > An example of doing these changes to orcallator.cfg:
> >
> > 1) Put your orcallator data into separate
> > directories and define:
> >
> >     find_files
> >
> > 2) Alter the following dirs as desired also.
> >
> >     html_dir
> >     base_dir
> >
> > 3) Then, just start your orca process separately.
> >
> > - Liston

> > modifying
> > >
> > > I think that point Nicholas is making below is its
> > up to you.  Just create
> > > a simple web page breaking this up as he
> > describes.  Just because
> > > everything is being collected/graphed on the same
> > machine doesn't matter.
> > >
> > > The problem with modifying the config files and/or
> > html files is you are
> > > going to have to manage the deltas when you
> > upgrade to the next release of
> > > Orca - not something I would look forward to.
> > >
> > > Sounds like you are looking that uses a config
> > file to categorize machines
> > > into classes (dev, prod, whatever).  It then
> > generates a HTML page with
> > > whatever template you want pointing to the
> > existing Orca HTML
> > > files.  Shouldn't be that hard to create.
> > >
> > > Assuming you create this, I'm sure other Orca
> > users would be interested in
> > > using something like this - I know I would.
> > >
> > > Sean

> > resolved it
> > servers, 1
> > one of
> > are

> > <muksyed at y...>

> > tweaked
> > which
> > to have
> > which
> > with
> > file?  I
> > not
> > before,

> > Videos &

> > & More

> > More

> [...]

- Liston Bias                       When the grass looks greener on the
  Alumnus of Oklahoma State Univ    other side of the fence, it may be that
  Alumnus of Florida State Univ     they take better care of it there.
                                                    -- Cecil Selig
  bias at pobox.com
  http://www.pobox.com/~bias