[Orca-users] Re: Memory Usage Graphs

Peter Radcliffe pir at pir.net
Thu Sep 12 10:04:44 PDT 2002

Liston Bias <list2002 at bias.org> probably said:
> I am guessing that the way Solaris 8 handles memory & paging is
> mucho different from Solaris 8 and thus the graphs may be incorrect
> for 8.  Does this assumption have merit or does Solaris 8 just
> handle it much better giving me more free memory.

Solaris 8 has the "priority paging" method as a default, whereas you
needed to specificly enable it for a patched 2.6 box or a Solaris 7
box. Priority paging gives much improved memory management and when I
enabled it on 2.6 boxes I noticed a lot more free memory. That's
probably what you're seeing.

P.

pir                pir-sig at pir.net                 pir-sig at net.tufts.edu