[Orca-users] Orca: file `<path to thefile>/orcallator-2003-12-16-082' did exist and is now gone.

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Tue Dec 16 10:19:08 PST 2003

jeffrey.p.miller at kodak.com wrote:

> Orca: Version 0.27b2
> Orcallator: Version 1.37
> SE Toolkit: Version 3.3.1
>
> For two of our "Sun Cluster 3.0" servers running orca, I keep getting the
> following messages.
>
> Orca: file
> `/packages/performance/orca/install/var/orca/orcallator/rl-clu04a/orcallator-2003-12-16-082'
> did exist and is now gone.
> Orca: file
> `/packages/performance/orca/install/var/orca/orcallator/rl-clu04a/orcallator-2003-12-16-082'
> was current and now is not.
>
> Then the orcallator daemon dies and has to be restarted.
>
> I searched the mailing list archives and did find a reference to this
> problem, but it did not go into a lot of detail about the cause or fix.
>
> Why are these files getting lost?

Hi Jeff,

They are not getting lost.  Check out the FAQ:

  2.4) Warning: file `.../orcallator/host1/orcallator-2001-11-06-000'
       did exist and is now gone.

       Orca prints this message when it found an input data file to
       read and when it goes to read it, which may be a while later,
       the file no longer exists.

       When Orca is being used with orcallator.se, this message may
       occur when orcallator.se compresses the previous day's percol-*
       or orcallator-* file that Orca found.

I assume you are compressing them so they end up with a new name.

But orcallator is dying?  That's a separate problem.

Plots of your system's performance - http://www.orcaware.com/orca/