[Orca-users] Where did the memory go....

Jon A. Tankersley jon.tankersley at eds.com
Wed Feb 5 20:42:25 PST 2003

I've been trying to run down 'where did the memory go' on a 2.6 system.
Free Memory is rapidly getting exhausted (about a Gig a day) and not
coming back without a reboot.  When it is almost zero there is no
appreciable paging or swapping.  We're suspecting FS cache (Lots of file
I/O, logging of transactions, etc. on the system).  But I can't seem to
find anything in the orcallator/percol file that shows a corresponding
increase.

SEToolkit/orcallator are running, apparently fine.

Another thing I've noticed that one of the orca graphs is using the following:
data                    pp_kernel
data                    free_pages
data                    pagestotl - pp_kernel - free_pages
data                    pagestotl

Why isn't it using pagesfree?  On the system I'm working with is showing
pagesio of 0, and free_pages less than half of pagesfree....

Is FS cache contained in pagesfree and not free_pages?  The free_pages
agrees with sar -r data report on freemem pretty closely.