[Orca-users] Is unzipping the percol files during every run necessary

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Fri Feb 14 10:00:59 PST 2003

> "Jones, Chris" wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I have a problem with the time it's currently taking to process collected data..........
>
> We have 2000+ clients most of which have been collecting data for years, as a
> result it takes a many DAYS to process and update the RRD and HTML files......
>
> The machine I'm using has multiple CPU's and more than enough memory but given
> Orca only makes use of a single CPU the processing is painfully slow. Surely we
> could speed things up by moving the old percol files into an archive directory
> after each invocation (-o -v). Is this possible?? Do we really need to unzip
> everything each time or should the RRD files contain the relevant historical
> data and thus only need updating with newly collected information?
>
> Also, has anyone done any development to make Orca utilise multiple CPUs as
> this would help immensely......

Chris,

Which version of Orca are you using?

Yes, Orca could be optimized here to remember the information from each
file without reopening it.  I think that data could be saved into the
orca.state file so Orca wouldn't have to do all that work.   Patches
welcome :)

Also, you may want to keep Orca runnin continuously, so it won't suffer
from the startup costs.

Plots of your system's performance - http://www.orcaware.com/orca/