[Orca-users] Is unzipping the percol files during every runn ecessary

Liston Bias bias at pobox.com
Fri Feb 14 10:53:57 PST 2003

Wow!  Did I understand that correctly when you mentioned you process more
than 2000 server with a single thread of orca?  If this is true, I can
only imagine how delayed you data is.  We started seeing some serious
delays on graph date with single thread when we start graphing 100
servers.  We like to see graphs 5-10 minutes old.

We run multiple instance of orca by specifying individual hosts in
orcallator.cfg 'file_files' definition eather by common wildcards or
individual hostname.  We then run separate orca instances for each .cfg we
create.  We run orca continuously.  We also do not bother running these on
bz2 files as I'm really only concerned about changes to current file.

While above running and caught up, you can run a separate orca that looks
at all data and generates your html.  I've had problems off & on with this
so I don't just do via cron, but it works well 99% of the time.

I do have occasion where rrd/graphs get messed up and I need to rebuilt
from past bz2 files, but that is rare.  I'm planning someday to write
script that archive good rrd/orca-state data daily.  If I end up with good
archive of rrd data then I see little reason to keep old bz2 files, but
haven't tested this theory.

Regards,
Liston