[Orca-users] Orcallator.cfg: Add threshold for # of cpus to Average # Processesim Run Queue-Graph

B.Schopp at gmx.de B.Schopp at gmx.de
Mon Feb 24 12:14:15 PST 2003

Hi Sean,

> Now that I'm thinking about this - The words "load threshold" really
> aren't
> good words to use here.  Just call it exactly what it is - a CPU count.

In that point i'm absolutely flexible in the naming of the measured value.

> Just because a 6 CPU system has a 1 minute or even 15 minute load average
> of 6 really means nothing from a performance standpoint in 99.9% of the
> cases.  It's when that load average crosses the 2x CPU count (or even
> 3x-4x) that you need to start asking "Is there a problem here ?"
>
> Every environment is going to be different so this 2x-CPU-average-load
> rule
> is a gross-average for every environment and needs to be carefully
> re-qualified.

I know what you mean. To consider, if a system has got a problem, there
should always be more than only one measurement evaluated. It really
means nothing, if the load exceeds the # of cpus as long as idle-time, swap
and memory aren't going out of resources. But in this case it may be another
helpful indicator of possible problems.

> I'm probably splitting hairs but this is just a "IMHO" ...

Doesn't matter. 2 admins, 3 opinions and 5 solutions... ;-)

Greetings,

Burkhardt

--
Daily bofh-style excuse:
We need a licensed electrician to replace the light bulbs in the computer