[Orca-users] A little restructuring

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Fri Jan 3 23:05:46 PST 2003

I'm moving some things around in the Orca distribution to have
multiple data gathering tools.  This will place orcallator on
equal footing as other data measurement tools, such as procallator
(which measures stats on Linux boxes).  The renames will be

    1) Rename src to orca.
    2) Make a new directory XXX.
    3) Move orcallator into XXX.
    4) Move contrib/procallator into XXX.

So XXX will contain orcallator and procallator and any new data
gathering tools.

I know this is a little bikesheddy (as in, what color do you want
to paint the bike shed), but I haven't thought of a good name yet
for XXX.

Several contenders are:

data_gatherers
data_measuring_tools
data_measurement_tools
data_pollers
data_measurers

Also, while we're thinking about it, I'm not too happy with the
name procallator.  It doesn't imply that it measures statistics
on Linux boxes and in fact, I don't know where the name came from.
So if anybody has a good suggestion for a new name, let me know.

Maybe linuxallator???  But then the /proc reading code in procallator
could be used for other OSes, such as BSD???  Thoughts welcome
here.

Plots of your system's performance - http://www.orcaware.com/orca/