[Orca-users] Cc compile error when building Orca 0.27

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Mon Jun 16 16:16:36 PDT 2003

> "Keany, Patrick J" wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I get the following compile error when attempting to build Orca 0.27
> in a Sun Solaris 8 environment. I suspect it is because the compiler
> I am using (/usr/ucb/cc) doesn't recognize the options being specified.
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> cc -c   -g -O2     -DVERSION=\"2.20\"  -DXS_VERSION=\"2.20\" -KPIC -I/usr/perl5/
> 5.00503/sun4-solaris/CORE -DU32_ALIGNMENT_REQUIRED MD5.c
> /usr/ucb/cc:  language optional software package not installed
> *** Error code 1
> make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `MD5.o'

Patrick,

You never want to use /usr/ucb/cc on Solaris.

Two things I recommend.

1) I recommend getting the freely available gcc on your system to use
   as your compiler.  Get a precompiled binary for Solaris 8 from

   http://www.sunfreeware.com/

2) You need a more recent version of Perl.  Get a precompiled Perl
   binary for Solaris from

   http://www.activestate.com/Products/Download/Download.plex?id=ActivePerl

   This binary will include more recent versions of some modules,
   so you may not need to install as many modules from Orca.

Plots of your system's performance - http://www.orcaware.com/orca/