[Orca-users] Cc compile error when building Orca 0.27

Allen Eastwood mixal at attbi.com
Mon Jun 16 21:20:13 PDT 2003

Just to add to what Blair said...

> You never want to use /usr/ucb/cc on Solaris.

It's just a stub for Sun's Forte compiler, a separate product you have to
buy.  If you don't know if you have it, you probably don't.

Blair, would there be any issues with using Forte if you had it?

> 2) You need a more recent version of Perl.  Get a precompiled Perl
>    binary for Solaris from
>
>   http://www.activestate.com/Products/Download/Download.plex?id=ActivePerl
>
>   This binary will include more recent versions of some modules,
>   so you may not need to install as many modules from Orca.

It looked to me like he was using the version that comes bundled with
Solaris.  I use sunfreeware's 5.8.0 myself and compile in the modules I
want.  I've got a set of pre-compiled modules for orca for Solaris 7,8,& 9.
These only require a "make install" and no additional compilers.  I use them
for production systems that I don't want to place a bunch of stuff on.  If
there is interest, I'll make the files and instructions available.

Once you do get another perl, make sure to set your PATH so that it points
to the new perl ahead of the old ( in /bin).  For instance, the sunfreeware
package installs in /usr/local/bin, so I set my PATH to /usr/local/bin:/bin
etc.