[Orca-users] Cc compile error when building Orca 0.27

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Tue Jun 17 12:09:23 PDT 2003

Allen Eastwood wrote:

> Just to add to what Blair said...
>
> > You never want to use /usr/ucb/cc on Solaris.
>
> It's just a stub for Sun's Forte compiler, a separate product you have to
> buy.  If you don't know if you have it, you probably don't.
>
> Blair, would there be any issues with using Forte if you had it?

Allen,

I don't think there would be any issues, but you never know.  I don't
have a Solaris system handy.  Which compiler is used to compile sunfreeware's
perl?

> > 2) You need a more recent version of Perl.  Get a precompiled Perl
> >    binary for Solaris from
> >
> >   http://www.activestate.com/Products/Download/Download.plex?id=ActivePerl
> >
> >   This binary will include more recent versions of some modules,
> >   so you may not need to install as many modules from Orca.
>
> It looked to me like he was using the version that comes bundled with
> Solaris.  I use sunfreeware's 5.8.0 myself and compile in the modules I
> want.

The ActiveState version is nice because it contains a large number of
patches, so that's why I recommend that one.

Plots of your system's performance - http://www.orcaware.com/orca/