[Orca-users] Cc compile error when building Orca 0.27

Sean O'Neill sean at seanoneill.info
Tue Jun 17 12:32:42 PDT 2003

At 12:09 PM 6/17/2003 -0700, Blair Zajac wrote:
>Allen Eastwood wrote:
> >
> > Just to add to what Blair said...
> >
> > > You never want to use /usr/ucb/cc on Solaris.
> >
> > It's just a stub for Sun's Forte compiler, a separate product you have to
> > buy.  If you don't know if you have it, you probably don't.
> >
> > Blair, would there be any issues with using Forte if you had it?
>
>Allen,
>
>I don't think there would be any issues, but you never know.  I don't
>have a Solaris system handy.  Which compiler is used to compile sunfreeware's
>perl?

GCC

> > > 2) You need a more recent version of Perl.  Get a precompiled Perl
> > >    binary for Solaris from
> > >

> http://www.activestate.com/Products/Download/Download.plex?id=ActivePerl
> > >
> > >   This binary will include more recent versions of some modules,
> > >   so you may not need to install as many modules from Orca.
> >
> > It looked to me like he was using the version that comes bundled with
> > Solaris.  I use sunfreeware's 5.8.0 myself and compile in the modules I
> > want.

If you use Sun's Perl distribution, I almost positive you have to have a
Sun compiler installed otherwise its almost impossible to compile in new
Perl modules.

If you run a "perl -V" command, this will tell you what compiler and linker
was used to create a specific perl binary.  This is a partial "perl -V"
from a Solaris 9 machine with Sun's perl installed:

   Compiler:
     cc='cc', ccflags ='-D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64',
     optimize='-xO3 -xdepend',
     cppflags=''
     ccversion='Sun WorkShop', gccversion='', gccosandvers=''
     intsize=4, longsize=4, ptrsize=4, doublesize=8, byteorder=87654321
     d_longlong=define, longlongsize=8, d_longdbl=define, longdblsize=16
     ivtype='long long', ivsize=8, nvtype='double', nvsize=8,
Off_t='off_t',lseeksize=8

Notice it says the compiler used was cc.  It also indicates what compiler
flags were used.  I have had a minor amount of success compiling perl
modules into Sun's perl distro (making a symbolic link of gcc to cc) but
usually it doesn't work.  Some if not most Perl modules will attempt to use
the ccflags values during a module's compilation.  GCC will usually puke
when it sees these ccflags switches.

--
Sean O'Neill