[Orca-users] RE: Orca-users Digest, Vol 6, Issue 15

JV JV711 at socal.rr.com
Thu Jun 19 23:24:34 PDT 2003

From: "Garrett, Matt M SITI-ITDIEEE" <matt.garrett at shell.com>
Subject: [Orca-users] Orca using over 40% CPU on Server

>However running on a Sun Solaris 8 system , Ultra 30 , UltraSPARC-II 296MHz
>CPU , 512Mb memory
>The Orca process seems to all ways use over 40% of the CPU
>The only reason it does not use 100% is other monitoring process (Nagios)
>need to run as well.

>At the moment I am only monitoring 53 clients.
>This is about to be stepped up to 300 clients.

>Any suggestions or idea's would be very helpful

Matt and Liston,

my 2 cents -

my setup is 1 e250 with 2 400 Mhz cpus and 1.5 GB of RAM, with about 40
subscribing orca clients. I found the bug with the duplicate disk graphs to
be so very annoying and reduced my credibility in presentations to others,
so I disabled them by commenting them out.

Wallah! my "orca cycle" time when from 2.5 hours to 25 minutes. Since I am
the only one who really looks at orca, I found this to be acceptable.

I noticed with prstat -a that orca only ever uses 1 cpu, at 50%
utiltization. Liston, how do you get 90% util on your v480R?

JV