[Orca-users] Cleaning up duplicate disk graphs

Charles R. Dennett dennett at rochester.rr.com
Fri Jun 20 06:09:29 PDT 2003

JV wrote:

> my setup is 1 e250 with 2 400 Mhz cpus and 1.5 GB of RAM, with about 40
> subscribing orca clients. I found the bug with the duplicate disk graphs to
> be so very annoying and reduced my credibility in presentations to others,
> so I disabled them by commenting them out.

I had installed Orca on my Solaris machines several years ago in my
previous job (not doing sys admin stuff right now :-( ) and on my
Linux system at home using the procallator script.  As you probably
know, every time the disk mounts change, additional disk usage graphs
appear.

Last year or the year before, someone posted to this list about a script
he had written to fix this.  It's a perl script called orcafix.pl.  I
tried it on both my Solaris and home Linux systems and it works.
However, it does involve some substantial amount of time to fix
everything.  Here are the comments (and some prints) from the beginning:

#
#       orcafix.pl - Joe Pawlicki - May 2002
#       Modify the orcallator data files, to prevent rrd files which result
#       in multiple plots for disk space and inode usage.  This situation
#       arises because filesystems can change over time, and orca doesn't
#       handle this well.
#
#       Step 1:  Copy script to all orcallator clients
#       Step 2:  Backup orcallator data files
#       Step 3:  Stop orcallator process on client
#       Step 4:  Uncompress all orcallator data files on client
#       Step 5:  Run orcafix.pl on client;  when prompted, enter the
name of the
#                most recent data file
#       Step 6:  Re-compress older data files (using gzip, bzip, etc.)
#       Step 7:  Start orcallator process on client
#       Step 8:  When orcafix has been run on all clients, remove the
rrd files
#                and web pages from the reporting host
#       Step 9:  Resync the client data files to the reporting host by
your normal
#                procedures, and run orca to regenerate rrd files and
web pages
#

use File::Copy;

print "orcafix.pl - This script will modify the orcallator data files in\n";
print "the current directory, so that filesystem data is consistent with
the\n";
print "most recent data file.  You must provide the name of the most
recent\n";
print "data file, and all data files in this directory must be
uncompressed.\n";
print "\nDo you want to continue?\n";

Note that you uncompress all the old data files for each client and
blow away all the RRD files so that orcafix can rebuilt them.  This
takes time!.  However, when it's finished, most if not all of those
pesky duplicate graphs are gone.

Maybe Blair could include this script in the contrib area?  To get it,
do a google search for orcafix.pl and it pops right up.

Charlie Dennett