[Orca-users] Re: memory leak

Liston Bias bias at pobox.com
Fri May 30 07:57:23 PDT 2003

On Fri, 30 May 2003, Ziegenhorn, Eric wrote:

> I too seem to be running into a memory leak with Orca on Solaris 8.  Orca
> was holding steady yesterday for a while at 9MB, but this morning it is
> using 136MB!  Using Orca/Orcallator, I can tell that Orca dramatically
> stepped up its memory usage twice, about three and nine hours after it
> started.  Other than those jumps, its memory usage appears to be stable.

Orca/perl does a poor job of releasing memory usage.  If you run orca in
daemon mode, I suggest you try restarting it automatically at regular
individuals to clear memory usage.  I have a cron that does this daily.  I
have not had any problems with graphs (about 300 systems) doing this, but
other may have.

> Also, does anyone know why the Hourly System Overview graph will usually
> have y-axis units such as 1, 2, 3 ...  but occasionally it shows units of 0,
> 200m, 400m, 600m...?

Orca automatically scales the plot to your data to optimize your viewing
satisfaction I believe.  The units or 200m would equate to 0.2.  Rather
than cram a graph in 1/10 of the y-axis it changes the scale.  You can
force data and plot ranges in your orcallator.cfg file per plot with
variables like data_min, data_max, plot_min, plot_max.