[Orca-users] SE Toolkit on other platforms

Ian Holsman lists at holsman.net
Thu Feb 5 17:46:48 PST 2004

hi.

We use the SE toolkit on our dwindling set of solaris machines, and have
a custom version of orca-mon running on our all our linux boxes.

I think the biggest thing I miss about SE on the linux boxes is the
in-memory structures available to it (instead of having to open/parse
the /proc (and now /sys) entires in all their dizzying formats.

but the thing i don't like about SE is that it doesn't interface well
into perl packages out there.

we have integrated orca-mon with RRD-tool's Aberrant behavior detection
(http://cricket.sourceforge.net/aberrant/)
and with nagios (http://www.nagios.org) so that it can notify us when
things fall out of the normal behavior for that machine. I'm not sure
how easy it would have been to do this with the original SE without
having to spend some major time learning SE.

Regards
Ian.