[Orca-users] tape backup plot does not show

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Sat Jul 3 11:41:15 PDT 2004

Justin Corpron wrote:

> I've setup a perl script to poll the number of backup tapes in various
> states. My output data file is looks like this:
>
> timestamp  m_full m_part m_free m_reusable m_total d_full d_part d_free
> d_reusable d_total w_full w_part w_free w_reusable w_total empty clean
> 1088532395 17     1      0      4          22      9      1      10
> 0          20      13     2      3      0          17      0     1
> I have appended to my orcallator.cfg the following:
>

> # this group is for the data compiled by tapes_html.pl of the gator
> inventory
>
> group gatorlator {
> find_files              /usr/local/var/orca/gatorlator/gatorlator
> column_description      first_line
> date_source             column_name timestamp
> interval                43200
> }

Hi Justin,

This all looks fine, except that your measurement interval is not consistent
when the actual measurements were made.

Take a look at this web page:

http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/rrdtool/manual/rrdcreate.html

Basically, RRD ignores data if there isn't enough data.  You should really
measure your measurements when the Unix epoch timestamp returned from time() is
an integer multiple of the interval.  Otherwise you won't get plots with any
data in them.  If you measure with the interval but you have a consistent
offset, then RRD will interpolate your data, which you don't want.

BTW, if you'd like to contribute your script to Orca so that other people could
use it, that would be great.

Plots of your system's performance - http://www.orcaware.com/orca/