[Orca-users] using the central server just to generate html

Yves Dorfsman yves at zioup.com
Thu Jun 17 06:30:35 PDT 2004

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004, James Bouressa wrote:

>     I have 100 machines I'd like to use orca to graph their stats for,
> but my central collection server has nowhere near the horse power
> required to crunch through generating all of those graphs. It seems like
> it would be very simple to have each monitored host generate it's own
> graphs, and rsync them to the central server. I've already implemented
> this part.
>     The only thing I don't know how to do is to get the central machine
> to generate the html for all of the pngs.
>     I know orca has a "-no-html" option, how could I implement something
> like a "-just-html" option?

James,

Sorry I didn't answer your other message, I just got tomy emails now.

Basically what I did is run both orcallator and Orca on the "clients" (the
servers that need to be monitored), and run a script on the web server
which remsh to the clients and tar their /var/orca directory and bring
them back (I'll email later tonight with the exact directory), and create
an index.html which points to the different daily html pages. The script
runs every 30 minutes which seems good enough for us, and at least no one
machine gets killed by Orca, but everybody does their share instead.

As I said, I'll email more details tonight.

Yves.
----
Yves Dorfsman                                             yves at zioup.com
                                         http://www.cuug.ab.ca/~dorfsmay