[Orca-users] winallator

Vicky P. Retzke vpretzke at Overnite.com
Wed Apr 5 10:01:00 PDT 2006

We have been successfully running orca on all of our solaris and linux
servers for about 18 months.  I have now been tasked with using orca to
graph the performance data from our Windows environment.

I have:

1.  Downloaded, compiled and installed the latest orca snapshot (r528)
in a completely separate path from our production "unix" orca
2.  Patched the SourceFile.pm using SourceFile.pm-patch-with-r520.txt
3.  Received several data *.tsv data files from a test server created
using the winallator.htm file (these files were created by the Windows
admin and provided to me)
4.  Tried to start orca using <new_path>/bin/orca -v
<new_path/etc/winallator.cfg

Orca fails with the following error:

./bin/orca: warning: cannot find date 'timestamp' in
'/users/nrgo600/var/worca/winallator/testdir/
winallator_2006040416.tsv'.

I'm assuming the problem is a result of a mismatch between the
winallator.cfg and the data files.  There is no "timestamp" column name
in the data file.  I've tried editing the config file to match the
first column in the data file and tried changing the first column in
the data file to "timestamp" - neither effort worked.  I've also tried
searching the user_archives.  I did find one thread from Dec2005 where
Blair talks about using the right version of the patch - I'm assuming I
have the latest version since I just downloaded it today.

I've included excerpts from both my config file and data file.  If you
need any additional information, just let me know.  Thanks for your
help!

winallator.cfg (partial)

group winallator {
find_files
/users/nrgo600/var/worca/winallator/(.*)/winallator_\d{10}\.tsv
column_description      first_line
date_source             column_name timestamp

data file (partial)

"(PDH-TSV 4.0) (Eastern Daylight Time)(240)"
"\\SRVTM1\Memory\Available Bytes"       "\\SRVTM1\Memory\Page
s/sec"  "\\SRVTM1\Network Interface(3Com EtherLink PCI)\Bytes
Total/sec"        "\\SRVTM1\Network Interface(3
Com EtherLink PCI)\Output Queue Length" "\\SRVTM1\Paging
File(\??\C:\pagefile.sys)\% Usage"     "\\SRVTM1\Pag
ing File(_Total)\% Usage"       "\\SRVTM1\PhysicalDisk(_Total)\% Disk
Time"     "\\SRVTM1\PhysicalDisk(_Total
)\Avg. Disk Queue Length"       "\\SRVTM1\PhysicalDisk(0 C:)\% Disk
Time"

Vicky Retzke
Unix System Administrator
Overnite, A UPS Company
804.291-5852 (w)
804.640-0241 (c)

NOTE:  THIS DOCUMENT MAY CONTAIN CONFIDENTIAL AND NONPUBLIC INFORMATION.  IT IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE INDIVIDUAL(S) OR ENTITY(IES) NAMED ABOVE, AND OTHERS SPECIFICALLY AUTHORIZED TO RECEIVE IT.  If you are not the intended recipient of this document, you are notified that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify me immediately by return email, delete the electronic message and destroy any printed copies.  Thank you for your cooperation.